Friday 19 June 2009

Becoming an 'in everything' prayer


One Christian author writes: “Often when I pray, I don’t talk to God about things I’m really thinking about because they don’t sound very spiritual. So I’ll pray about world peace, or the missionaries, or something like that. But my mind keeps wandering back to what’s really on my heart.

The solution to this wandering-mind problem is contained in this phrase: ‘In everything.’ I must pray what is in me, not what I wish was in me. Praying wht’s really in my heart is an ‘in everything’ kind of prayer. I don’t wait to clean up my motives or try to sound more spiritual than I am. I pray what’s really in me. If you’re going to grow in prayer and overcome worry, you must begin by becoming an ‘in everything’ pray-er.

Whether your request is large or small, whether your motives are mixed or pure, whether what you ask is wise or foolish, God can sort it all out. You can trust Him to respond wisely. He’s not going to give you something foolishly. But you’ve got to learn to hold your prayer loosely and trust that God doesn’t answer it the way you want it to be answered.

He knows what He’s doing; He has very good reasons. It’s such a simple thing to go through your day asking God, ‘What’s the one thing needed that you have for me in this moment?’ And when He reveals it to you, you need to do it!’ Don’t debate, don’t rationalise, don’t postpone. Whoever you are, whatever your background, starting this moment you can do it. You can become an ‘in everything’ pray-er.

This is the reading for today from UCB “Word For Today” for Sunday 5th July. You can get the readings for everyday from the back of church. First one is free, then 50p per copy. See Anne Couper for further details or ring 01262 404100. Find todays reading at

http://www.ucb.co.uk/word_for_today


The UCB Notes also incorporate “Bible in a Year Reading” which gives a Bible reading plan to read the whole Bible in one year

No comments:

Post a Comment