Monday 16 November 2009

My Alpha Story

"I had a wonderful time on the Alpha course. It's a great opportunity to meet new people, ask questions and learn about the Christian faith. Although the alpha course is designed primarily for non-churchgoers, it is open to everyone; whatever your background, belief or denomination may be, you will be made more than welcome!

Alpha makes Christianity relevant to modern life and gives people the chance to explore and discover the faith in an informal, friendly environment. No pressure is applied by anyone to become Christian or to join the Church, though many people do find it to be a transforming experience - discovering the true meaning & purpose of life in the person of Jesus.
I was already a church-goer when I joined Alpha but I found that it was still a transforming experience for me. It helped my faith to come alive and gave me Christian companionship.
All of these quotes are from guests who have taken the Alpha Course.

"When I first heard about the Alpha course I was at a stage when I was searching for something 'out there'. I really needed to ask questions and not feel like I was getting a hard-sell pitched at me. Now I perceive things differently and just feel so at peace. I have also met a wonderful bunch of new friends on the course."

"The first evening surprised me completely. During the first evening, there were no prayers or heavy preaching. We were just given the opportunity to listen to the talk and then discuss anything we wanted. I chose to ask some challenging and confrontational questions, but they were welcomed, and I was made to feel valued and appreciated. I enjoyed the evening so much that I couldn't wait to go back the following week..." “Before I had always thought you had to do good to be a Christian, and I knew I was not good enough…But the people in Alpha…helped smash that idea…no one is better than the next.”

"I didn’t expect the warm welcome I received, the interesting discussions or the lack of pressure to speak in the small groups that followed. I found that I could express any doubts about Christianity, and that my opinions would be respected. If I had an issue with something, I had a forum to voice it with no need to apologize."

"Over the years, church became more of a social club… I’m still figuring it out. I was nervous the first week but was placed at a table with other young people, many of whom were going through the same stuff I was. But now God is a daily part of my life. The friends from Alpha have become some of the closest friends I’ve ever had."

“For the first time in my 30+ years I realized that God wasn’t something far away.” “I feel a true peace about my life. Life is still difficult as a single mother, yet I know that Jesus is right there with me. I always felt that there was something missing and now that Jesus is in my life I know that it was knowing Him.”

“I realized that even though I had a limited religious background I was very naïve about Christianity. I was challenged by the thought of where my life was headed…why is it so empty? Even though I had a great wife and good kids something was missing.”

“I have come to the realization that one cannot depend on other people in life – I can only depend on the Lord. I have been released of the dependence of so much depression medicine. Alpha helped me find focus and centre in life.”

If you would like to register on the Alpha Course which starts on Monday 11th January 2010 at 7.00pm Christ Church Bridlington, please contact us on
01262 404100

No comments:

Post a Comment