Thursday 21 January 2010

TRISHA WICK'S NEWS FOR JANUARY 2010 FROM MARIDI IN SUDAN

Greetings and a Happy New Year to you all.

CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR CELEBRATIONS
I was ill with malaria and cold over Christmas so my activities were limited. But New Year celebrations in church went ahead as planned although it was very hot. Being peace makers is our church theme for 2010.

GIFTS AND CARDS
Many thanks to all those of you who sent gifts and cards for Christmas. Much appreciated.

SECURITY
This is deteriorating as we approach elections in April. Maridi has remained calm so far. Bishop Justin will make the decision as to whether I stay in Sudan during the elections or leave for Uganda as many organizations are removing non Sudanese staff as unrest is expected. Bishop knows I wish to stay if possible. UN have evacuation plans if things get really bad - they will take all expats to their fortified team site near here and call in helicopters to take us out. Let's hope it is not necessary. The emergency bag is ready!

DAVID AND HEATHER SHARLAND
They are my CMS Colleagues who until recently live in Lui about 100 miles from Maridi. However they have now relocated to Arua in Uganda and will commute into Sudan occasionally, but are also building up work with Sudanese in Uganda.

IRISH VISITORS
A team from CMS Ireland are due to arrive in Maridi on January 19th for a week.

PUPPIES AND KITTENS
Six of the seven puppies go to new homes this week. The runt of the litter called Pixie will stay until she has grown a lot more - she is one third the size of the others. My cat Precious is due to give birth any time now. My other cat, Posho, who was sick is much improved. I have a sign over my chair which says 'My cat walks all over me and leaves paw prints on my heart'.

BORROWED MONEY
Pray for wisdom as I deal with four people who have borrowed money but are refusing to pay it back.

YOUTH DAY
January 1st is traditionally Youth Day and all collections from the services that day go to support the work of the youth. Wilson still needs to find more financial support for the work.

NEW CAR
Later this year I still hope to replace our Toyota Land Cruiser as long as security is OK and I can stay in Sudan. There is a British Company based in Gibraltar who can bring the car from Japan and deliver it to me here in Sudan.

CHAIMA COLLEGE
Bishop Justin is upgrading our Theological College and from this month courses are starting in English, Computer, and Accounting. Other courses will follow later.

WILSONS VISIT TO UK
I was hoping that my colleague Wilson could visit UK with me this year but God seems to be closing that door for the time being. The Visa Office in Uganda has closed and the one in Nairobi is moving to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia so it is almost impossible to apply for a visa, and in any case 90% of Sudanese are refused visas. Also with the present uncertain security situation Wilson needs to be with his family to do what he can to protect them.

HOME LEAVE
My next Home Leave is to be divided in two halves. Half this year and half next year. Therefore I expect to be in UK for three months this year from May, for MA study leave and also to visit some of my Link Churches.

MA STUDIES
November and December were so busy that I am now behind with my studies so I am keeping much of January and February free to catch up.

DISCIPLESHIP TRAINING BOOKS ON FOLLOWING JESUS
We have now started to write Book 3 - 'How can I live a life pleasing to God?' Book 4 will follow on 'Working for God'.

CMS FINANCIAL YEAR
This ends on January 31st and I am confident that God will provide all the money for my personal support. The target has been reached every year so far. Thank You.

PARTY POPPERS
We are not allowed to fire guns so when Wilson's family let off party poppers they sounded like gun fire. He escaped arrest.

All for now. Love to you all.
Trisha Wick

No comments:

Post a Comment