Monday 14 September 2009

Dan Clarke Update

Hey all, just a first week update on how the gap year is going. Then I should be doing a regular newsletter at the end of every month.It was a long 11 hour flight over here, of which I hardly got any sleep so when I arrived and met the Ambassadors in Sport (AIS) people, I was extremely tired.I have got a really nice host family, the Botha's.

With two children slightly younger me. Called Daniel 17 and Gina 15. After a long sleep on the tuesday night I went to help do some coaching at a school, the group is called "We are the Giants!".On wednesday Mark one of the AIS staff let me drive his car from my house to the office which is about 10 km. It was a scary first experience, with a different (horrible) car in a busy (unfriendly driving) city. I also went to a cell group for the first time with "the botha's" at the pastors house.On thursday it was an early start as Will (AIS guy) and I went to Leuukop Prison to help coach at a "Hope Academy" that has been there since January.

I expected it to be really hard working with the guys in the Juvenile prison, who wouldn't want anything to know about God.I was wrong and before we played football, a pastor came and spoke, then we broke off into groups and talked about the sermon. The guys were soo keen on God and didn't seem in a rush to play football. One of the guys there even said in the future he might want to be a pastor. So it shocked me how much these academys in prison can help change the youth's who have pretty much nothing to have God and together as a team train a few times a week. The academys have a logo of "Football, Faith, Future" and as I saw it is extremely successful. As part of the football part, one of the coaches said I could take part in the fitness with the lads "to get to know them more". However the fitness was nothing that I had ever experienced before, with intense stamina and pace work in 30 degree + temperatures with a very high altitude nearly killed me.Most of the week was preparing for a Freestyling event we hosted on saturday. Encouraging all ages to take part. This was a success as loads entered and some got through to the final at Orlando Stadium.

More news on this will be on http://matchforadaysa.wordpress.com/ .The church i go to here is quite closely linked to ambassadors in sport so I know a few people who go there already. I hope that is enough, sorry if it is too much.Keep up with the prayers please.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment